Friday, August 22, 2014

The week in review: 8/18/14 - 8/22/14

Monday, August 18
-Hong Kong-

Tuesday, August 19
-Last day in Hong Kong-

Wednesday, August 20
A strange day indeed, Tuesday meshed right into our 12:45 a.m. flight today. We got to the Incheon airport (in Korea) sometime around 5:30, but I didn't get into Seoul until sometime after 7 a.m. This means I got back to my town a bit after nine, and actually slowly hobbled my way from the bus stop back to my apartment. I have no idea how my leg got messed up during the plane ride or bus ride, but I could only painfully hobble all day. Couldn't sleep, so eventually I did some wrapping and then hobbled a box and package to the town's post office and brought back take out for lunch. Slept from about 1 p.m. to only 5 p.m.

Thursday, August 21
It was strange to go back to school, but things felt right back to normal when my co-teacher told me ten minutes before the end of first period that we did indeed have three classes today, starting second period, so could I please prepare a game or two that would fill 20 minutes of class. !!! Not going to miss that.

Earlier in the day my main co-teacher gave me a traditional Korean handmade gift, a lovely surprise and gesture.

I found out many new things today:
  •  My main co-teacher got this promotion she'd been working hard for by studying for difficult tests she took last semester. This means that she'll start a new job working for the school board next month, so her last day teaching at this school is the same as my last day - something I never expected. A new English teacher (Korean) will start here next Thursday.
  • This same co-teacher asked what day I would leave the apartment, since the school will actually need to move out all of the furniture/contents from there. I hadn't realized this would need to be done, as there were tons of things in the apartment left by the previous native English teacher occupant when I arrived. These were really useful, but I'm not sure if they'll be kept or pitched by the school.
  • I can't get my apartment security deposit back until 3-4 months from now because of the new landlord.
  • A message from the messenger program in the afternoon announced the birth of my previous co-teacher's son, which happened earlier this morning!
  • There will be some sort of goodbye dinner next week, for my main co-teacher and me - I think.
So many changes going on, at this point in my year I am happy to be part of the changes and not the people staying behind that make the school and town what they are, if that makes sense.

I had a nauseous headache later that night, but couldn't get myself to puke like when this happened months ago. Slept it off, was up from 2:30 - 4:30 a.m. just because I woke up.

Friday, August 22
I had predicted that our fifth grade classes today might go somewhat like fourth grade yesterday: Learn a song, led by my co-teacher, and then play a game provided by me. So I'd gone ahead and looked for some PPT games my 5th graders could play yesterday afternoon. Good thing I did so, because yesterday after shutting down my computer for the day, that co-teacher told me to prepare a game for the fifth graders tomorrow. After we'd both been in the same office the entire afternoon. Anyways, it was really great to have the entire afternoon free today; it makes a huge difference without any daycare classes. I got some much-needed blogging and emailing done.

Happy weekend!
• • •


Post a Comment